If you’re a fan of horror-lit already or if you are looking to jump into a contemporary fantasy world that’s edgy, fun and sexy, you need to check out some of the modern twists on classic werewolf and vampire novels.
Thanks in part to popular TV shows True Blood and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, modern day supernatural fiction books are more popular than ever, and there are so many stories to choose from, it is hard to know where to start.
Here’s a list of some of the best werewolf books available today.
Top 10 Werewolf Books Table
The Appeal of Modern Horror-Lit
There is a plethora of authors out there these days who are bringing supernatural characters into contemporary settings, and when well-written, these types of stories can be not only entertaining but also fascinating commentaries on modern day life.
Whether you are looking for a lighter read, an epic tale or something a little more introspective, there’s something in this genre for everyone.
- Morals. These types of urban fantasy stories also offer plenty of room for traditional storylines that everyone is drawn to questions of morality, trust, lust, and reality.
Many of these books beg the question: what is real? They force us to look at our philosophies in a whole new light.
- Romance. There’s no doubt that part of the appeal of these novels is the question of lust and love between characters that appear to be only semi-human. Are they human or not?
- Escape. Great fantasy and sci-fi stories all have something in common: they manage to blend serious, big-picture themes into fun, thrilling, and otherworldly plot lines.
Popular Urban Fantasy Book Series and Authors
There are so many great authors and books out there these days with contemporary supernatural slants. If you’re into otherworldly characters like werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters, you should definitely check out the following authors.
- Mark Tufo. Tufo’s spectacular set of books, the Lycan Fallout, are blowing readers away. Characters are detailed and well-developed, and plot lines are both deep and humorous. Tufo offers a perfect combination of elegance and grit while weaving fantastically unique storylines.
The pacing of these books is quite fast, so if you love action-packed fantasy, you’ll probably not be able to put them down.
- S.E. Smith. Smith is a bestselling author whose top novels include fantasy favorites like Dragon Lords of Valdier and Zion Warriors series.
Smith is beloved because she really pushes the boundaries of fantasy and paranormal romance into—well, reality. She develops characters that are complex and relatable, so much so that you fall in love immediately.
Smith is a great choice if you are looking for books that are fun, emotional and romantic.
- Shannon Mayer. Bestselling author Shannon Mayer is well known for such urban fantasy tales as the Elemental and Rylee Adamson series. Her novels are a great pick for those deep into the paranormal, kick-butt female protagonist types of stories.
Her writing is fast-paced, and the characters are well-developed and relatable.
Top 3 Best Werewolf Books Reviews
Mark Tufo is one of the most popular and talented authors in the field of contemporary paranormal fantasy. Tufo is a master at creating characters that are scrappy and rebellious and writing with a level of tongue-in-cheek wit that is rare in this genre.
His Lycan Fallout series offers a spectacular and quirky range of beloved characters and plot lines twist and turn at a pace that the reader can only barely keep up with—in the best way possible.
It is the second book in the action-packed series, and many say it is his best book. Characters come and go, often reappearing later in the series, which keeps readers interested and engaged emotionally.
Readers love the way that the character is set in the first-person narrative, as it makes things all the more relatable.
Here’s a great fantasy novel that has a little bit of everything a supernatural fantasy fans could want. It is the typical battle between good and evil, but with some unexpected twists and sacrifices. Get your Kleenex ready, as this is a serious tear-jerker.
Quinn Lofits reels you into book 7 of the Grey Wolves series with even more power than the last. To date, she has written 17 novels, and it shows in her elegant storytelling.
Quinn’s stories are compelling and suspenseful, with an emotional intensity that immediately lets the reader bond with the characters, and also leaves a little bit of mystery.
Quinn is a master at crafting stories that not only leave the reader sitting on the edge of their seats but leave them white-knuckled as they ride alongside the characters through many ups and downs.
Book 3 of T.S. Joyce’s Kayne’s Mountains rounds out our list of best werewolf books a solid representation of the author’s amazing ability to take the reader on a full rollercoaster of emotions at every step of the story.
It is a gripping paranormal tale with relatable, remarkable characters and just enough humor to keep you lifted just when you need it.
If you are a fan of shapeshifter stories, pick up any of Joyce’s books from this series, and you will not be disappointed. You will fall in love with the characters, and at the end, you will be reaching for more.
Action-packed, dark, emotionally enticing and a little bit twisted, you will not be able to step away from the twisting storylines and deeply developed characters, even after the first few pages.