We don’t have to tell you that reading stimulates your mind, reduces stress, and improves your focus and thinking skills. The problem is that between our work, social, and family lives, we can barely find the time to breathe yet alone indulge in pleasure reading.
Fortunately, we have a solution: novellas. Shorter than a novel but long enough to develop round characters and an interesting plot, novellas are the perfect solution for the modern busy bee.
Whether you’re looking for some adventure, romance or suspense, we’ve put together a list of the best novellas that you can enjoy in your spare time.
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Novella to Read
Here are a few things to take into consideration before choosing one or more of the novellas listed below.
- Consider the Length. Many people mistake short stories for novellas. The problem is that the origin of the term is rather confusing. The concept was initially used for tales in frame stories, such as The Decameron by Boccaccio or The Arabian Nights. As a rule of thumb, the length of a novella ranges between 20.000 and 40.000 words. That translates into roughly 60 to 120 pages.
- Consider the Time. Possibly the best thing about novellas is that they won’t take too much of your time. You can finish a novella in just one day without reading diagonally.
- Format. Many novellas are available in a hardcover edition, but you’ll usually have more chances finding them in Kindle formats. More than that, the digital format is easier to store than paperbacks.
Top 10 Novellas Comparison Table
How to Find the Perfect Novellas
A novella is an ideal mix between a novel and a short story, but how can you make sure you’re not wasting your time with some poorly-written ones? Pay attention to the tips below if you want to find the best novellas out there.
- Series. When buying a novella consider if it’s part of a series or not. If it is, then it may be best to start with the first one to get acquainted with the characters. Keep in mind that these are not short stories, so it may be difficult to make sense of the plot if you’ve skipped the firsts.
- Don’t Fall for The “First Volume Free” Technique. Some authors and publishing companies will offer the first volume for free to hook you and persuade you to purchase the next ones. Nothing is for free, so don’t let this strategy fool you!
- Genre. Similar to novels, novellas come in a variety of genres. From romance, science fiction and fantasy to adventure or even erotica, there’s something out there for every taste and preference.
Top 3 Best Novellas Reviews
Young, Rich & Black is the overall highest rated novella out there. This love affair will grab your attention from the first page and keep you hooked till the end. It’s a tale of love that conquers all problems and defeats the odds.
If you have a couple of hours on your hand, then you should let yourself caught up in the tumultuous story of Zora Diallo and Chris Scaife. We promise you won’t be able to let the book down until you discover if the wealthy Chris and ambitious Zora can find common ground to build the foundation of their relationship.
If you are looking for a story that has a bit of everything – romance and mystery while still being anchored in reality – then Young, Rich & Black is one of the best novellas you can find.
Let your imagination run wild with this adventure novella that will ensure you’ll fell in love with the protagonist. Combining history and fantasy, Jeremy Robinson describes vivid scenes that will take you on a journey full of suspense and unexpected plot twists.
Guardian, the first book of the series Jack Sigler Continuum, tells the story of a man named King, which battles an army of bizarre creatures to save the life of a 12-year-old boy. The action takes place thousands of years ago, in a world filled with goddesses, priests, and ancient rituals.
If you were looking for a way to give your mind a break from everyday problems and submerge yourself in a world full of adventures, then this is the right novella for you.
Just like the title promises, this is a novella about the struggles of finding true love and living happily ever after. It tells the story of the never ending search for your better half, and it teaches you how to overcome any difficulties that life throws in your way.
The relationships between Daniel and a strange girl named Six is one of the most intense you’ll ever read. The complexity of their love, the magnetic attraction, and the plot twists will enchant you and keep you glued to the pages of the book until the end.
You’ll probably find yourself remembering your first love and following the story step by step. The realism of emotions described by the author will make you feel like this story is about you.
If you’re in the mood for a good love story, then Finding Cinderella is an excellent pick.