Books have a tremendous impact on our children’s development; helping them learn, build their vocabulary, nourish their imagination, and spark their curiosity.
Finding the best books for 2nd graders is no easy task. As they expand and deepen their knowledge, they need books that can help them develop their reading skills and critical thinking.
That’s where this guide comes into play. We’ve listed the best options along with some buying tips that will take the guessing out of finding great books for your second grader.
What You Need to Consider Before You Shop
Before we jump to our list of recommended books for your second grader, let’s have a look at the things you need to consider before you shop.
- The Theme and Purpose. One of the things that make finding excellent books for 2nd graders so difficult is that they cover a variety of topics. From reading development books to workbooks with math and science exercises, there are hundreds of options under each category.
That’s why you need to take into consideration the learning benefits of your selection. Ask yourself, what does your second grader need to focus on at the moment? Does he or she need to improve his/her reading level? Does she or he need to practice their addition and subtraction skills? Alternatively, do you want a book that will develop their taste for reading?
- Make a Selection with the Child in Mind. Choose an informational book or a novel that will spark your child’s interest. Most importantly, make sure it’s age appropriate. Keep in mind that a second grader’s vocabulary isn’t too complex, so look for books that will help them develop their skills in a fun and engaging way. That way, your kid will be able to read the story without stumbling on dozens of words that are unknown to him or her.
Top 10 Books for 2nd Graders Ultimate Table
||1. Sylvan Learning 2nd Grade Super Math Success: Activities, Exercises, and Tips to Help Catch Up, Keep Up, and Get Ahead
||Math Workbook ||$$$$||4.8|
||2. Summer Bridge Activities®, Grades 2 - 3
||3. Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 1-4: Dinosaurs Before Dark, The Knight at Dawn, Mummies in the Morning, and Pirates Past Noon
||4. Second Grade Big Workbook
||5. The Best Seat in Second Grade (I Can Read Level 2)
||6. Zack's Alligator (An I Can Read Book)
||7. Scholastic Success with Reading Comprehension, Grade 2
||8. Scholastic Success with Writing, Grade 2
||9. 240 Vocabulary Words Kids Need to Know: Grade 2: 24 Ready-to-Reproduce Packets Inside!
||10. Spectrum Reading Workbook, Grade 2
||Reading Workbook ||$$||4.5|
Things You Need to Know to Find Books for 2nd Graders
A book is an unlimited investment in your child’s mind and spirit, and choosing one selection deserves thoughtful attention. Here’s what you need to know if you want to find the best books for 2nd graders.
- Look for Books That Are Written by Teachers. If you opted for education books, make sure teachers wrote them. Teachers understand best the problems a child struggles with at school, whether we’re talking about reading or mathematics. Therefore, they know how to approach these issues and help the children handle them without ending up resenting the topic.
- The Quality of the Paper. If you’ve opted for paperbacks, make sure they are printed on quality paper. Take a few minutes to read a few passages and review the artwork. A captivating story in a well-illustrated book will offer an excellent experience to your child, making it easy for him/her to focus and learn.
- The Format of the Book. Most children’s books nowadays come in both paperback and digital format. Although it’s true that eBooks won’t take up any space in your house and will probably last forever, it may be better to choose a paperback for your second grader. This format will allow your child to go through the pages, which will make him more involved and attentive.
- The Price. The publishing house, the quality of the paper, the author and the format are all factors that can influence the price of the book. Keep in mind that the best books for second graders aren’t necessarily the most expensive ones on the shelf. Instead, the book should be well written and designed so that it can catch your child’s attention and provide an enjoyable experience.
Top 3 Best Books for 2nd Graders Reviews
1. 2nd Grade Super Math Success
2nd Grade Super Math Success is the overall highest rated book for children age 6 to 9 years old. What makes this book such a great option is that it can help your kid keep up or even stay ahead of his or her class through a mix of exercises, information, and puzzles. With an easy to learn approach, this educational book will make him/her fall in love with math.
This book contains basic math exercises and puzzles, such as coloring pieces of cake to match fractions, measuring action figures, designs that help them count, and so on. The “Math Games & Puzzles” section uses fun exercises that will make it easier for your child to solve advanced math problems with confidence.
Overall, 2nd Grade Super Math Success is a great starting point if you want to teach your child how to make connections between the real world and math concepts. Not only that it’s fun and engaging, but it can boost your child’s confidence in his or hers ability, making it one of the best books for 2nd graders you can buy.
When you’re young, nothing can beat the thrills and excitement of preparing for the next grade. Summer Bridge Activities will give your second grader a head start on his/her upcoming school year.
One of the things that make Summer Bridge Activities unique is that it keeps the fun outside, in the sun. Unlike other books that require children to stay at their desk and study, this workbook offers a variety of activities that can be performed anywhere.
You can help your children improve their math, reading, writing, and science skills through 15-minutes daily exercises.
If you are looking for a book that will prevent summer learning loss and pave the way to a successful new school year, then look no further than Summer Bridge Activities.
Mary Pope Osborne’s award-winning and New York Times best-selling book series, Magic Tree House, is an excellent choice, especially if you want to instill a passion for reading in your little one.
The book tells the story of two kids who discover a magic tree house that allows them to travel through time and space. The captivating adventures will spark your child’s imagination as they travel through different places and historical periods.
Highly entertaining and educational, Magic Tree House is an excellent book that your second grader will love.