We don’t have to tell you that books are one of the best ways to develop our baby’s curiosity, sense of awareness, and intelligence. The only problem is that, with so many options at hand, it can be difficult to pick the right ones. What you need to remember is that your goal should be to help your little one gain some knowledge, not just look at some pretty pictures.
Because we know that it’s never too early to begin reading with your child, we did a bit of research and put together a list of the best books for 1-year-old.
Things to Consider Before Buying
Before we jump to our list, let’s take a look first at the things you need to keep in mind when looking for books for your baby.
- Make Sure That It’s Safe. Babies tend to put everything in their mouths, so be careful and check if the format of the book, the decorative elements, and the pages are sturdy enough. Don’t be afraid to test it. If it seems breakable, then move on to the next one. The last thing you want is to risk your little one choking on something.
- Ensure That It’s Age Appropriate. When your baby is one year old, he/she is extremely curious, but can’t maintain his/her attention for long periods of time. That’s why you need to ensure that the book is bright and colorful. Choose one with beautiful illustrations that are easy to recognize so that you’ll be able to show them to your baby and describe the elements with ease. Books with animals, objects from around the house or body parts are always a good choice.
- The Book Should Be Exciting. Nowadays, most books for 1-year-olds also tend to help children develop their sense of touch and hearing. For example, some editions combine images with sounds so that your kid will make the connection between how a cat looks like and what it sounds like.
Top 10 Books for 1-Year-Old Table
How to Find the Right Book for Your 1-Year-Old
Your baby is trying to understand the world around him/her, and you want to help make the process more fun and interesting. Pay attention to the tips below to ensure that you’ll find the best books for 1-year-old.
- Pay Attention to the Size. Consider that your baby has small hands, so it’s best to pick a book that he or she can hold on his own.
- Look for Interactive Books. Although they can be pricier, your kid will certainly be more excited about something that he can pull, touch or that makes sounds.
- Shop for Renowned Children Authors. Authors with a Ph.D. in the field of child psychology write the best books for one-year-olds. Look for books from reputable authors since you can be certain that the illustrations and format are better suited for your little one.
- Consider the Price. Like it or not, kids at that age grow bored with everything. Before you spend tons of money on a book, consider how much it will keep your baby engaged.
- Pick an Engaging Theme. You can find books on virtually every subject, but make sure to pick a theme that is engaging and will help your baby learn new things, such as animals, instruments, foods and so on.
Top 3 Best Books for 1-Year-Old Reviews
“Dear Zoo: a Lift-the-Flap Book” is the overall one of the best books one year olds. Although it was published more than 25 years ago, this engaging and educational book still hasn’t lost its appeal.
With an attractive story and various elements that will engage your baby, this book is possibly the best choice you could make.
Sold in over two million copies, “Dear Zoo” is a classic that has enchanted babies and parents from all over the world. It’s great for one-year-olds because, at this stage of development, they learn through repetition, and the book does just that.
With the help of flaps, as well as touch elements, your kid will be able to feel textures and experience new things, all while having fun.
Fun, bright, colorful and, most importantly, educational, “Dear Zoo” is, without a doubt, one of the best books for 1-year-old.
Learning through association is one of the easiest ways to teach your baby about the world. “My Big Animal Book” can help you with this task.
The images are big, bright, and bold and feature different animals from wild ones to pets. The name of each animal or bird is written below the picture, which is an excellent way to help your little one develop his or her vocabulary.
If your child likes animals, then he’ll surely grow fond of “My Big Animal Book.” This informative and engaging book will keep him occupied for a long time, and with your help, he’ll diversify his knowledge about the animals around him.
Colorful, engaging, and affordable, this is a book every parent needs.
Interactive books are a great way to help your baby learn by playing. “VTech Musical Rhymes Book” has colorful pages, big, bright buttons, nursery rhymes, and over 40 songs, sounds, and phrases.
One of the things that make this book stand out is that it has two modes, one for learning and one for music. Combined with multiple instruments sounds and five piano buttons, it will entice your baby’s curiosity and keep him/her engage for long periods.
It works with AAA batteries, so you won’t have any problems using it regularly for the entertainment of your baby or toddler!
Overall, “VTech Musical Rhymes Book” is a great addition to your baby’s library.